Sunday, April 15, 2012

Visual Development

March 20

Some early visual development.

My process so far has been: Walking down Los Angeles street with recorder on, recording 10 minute chunks of audio, listening to the chunks and piecing together images based on the sounds. So far the main noise has been passing cars, no matter where I walk in my neighborhood there is a constant sea of this noise. Other more sharper noises appear and disappear above it, horns, people talking, engines puttering. This is pretty much what I was trying to capture in the first image.


The second image is inspired by my first day at the Los Angeles Braille Institute. I was assigned to assist in a 'Sensory Awareness' class. The instructor conducts exercises that meant to help the visually impaired become more aware of their environment through sound and touch. I followed the instructor as he took a student around the building. We stopped in each room, the instructor would clap and we would listen to the sound echoing around the room. The student would then try to guess where they were based on the amount of echo. Anyway, as I was following along I was imagining how voices echo through rooms and how the intensity can grow and distort based on the size and location the the listener.


When first thought of this project one of the first sounds I immediately thought of was beeping walk signs. The third image might be what the end of the film looks like, a symphony of walk signs beeping like crazy might be a good note to end on.

No comments:

Post a Comment